Automatically add links to published posts to your Facebook pages, groups, etc.
Automate user growth and revenue with ReadyGraph integration.
If you have more than one Facebook account, either logout completely or login to the correct account before you start.
If you want to add links to a fan/community/business page, authorize the plugin with a personal account that owns to the page.
If you have a multi-site installation, create a separate Facebook application for each site.
Never delete an existing Facebook application, because you could delete the links added through it too.
- Click on the link Click here to create in the yellow box on the settings page
- Or click here
- Click Register as Developer if needed
- Click My Apps (top menu)
- Click Add a New App
- Click Website
- Create the Facebook application:
- Type a name for the application and click Create New Facebook App ID
- Choose an appropriate category for your website and click Create App ID
- Click Skip Quick Start (top right)
- Go to the application Settings (left menu)
- Click Add Platform and select Website
- Copy the red URL from the Easy setup section of the plugin settings page to the field Site URL
- Press Save Changes
- Go to Status & Review (left menu) (optional only if the default settings doesn’t work or you get a permission error)
- Request the following permissions and supply any other information Facebook requests:
- publish_actions (required to add links)
- user_groups (required to add links to groups)
- manage_pages (required to add links to pages)
- read_stream (required to show a Facebook activity feed in a widget)
- Setup the plugin:
- Copy the App ID and App Secret from the Facebook application Dashboard to the fields in the Easy setup section of the plugin settings page
- Press the Save button to save the plugin configuration
- Press the Authorize button on the plugin settings page, login to Facebook if needed
Please note that you can add links to Facebook pages you administer (own) only.
Some people need to verify their account before they can create an application. If you want to use your mobile phone number, take care that the phone number is correct. When it was wrong, you have to wait more than a week before you can try again. If the standard procedure doesn’t work, you can try this page.
If you are having a problem, you can probably find the solution in the FAQ.
If you need to setup the plugin again for some reason, just remove the Facebook App ID & Secret from the Easy setup section of the plugin settings page.
Everybody has to start here. Just follow the short instruction on the setup page or the setup guide above. The first goal is the acquire the following two values from Facebook:
- App ID
- App Secret
After entering these values you should authorize the plugin. The plugin will use the App ID and Secret to obtain an access token, which is required to access your Facebook wall.
- To create an application you have to verify your account
- Error Given URL is not allowed by the Application configuration: see question E03 of the FAQ
- cURL error: see question E11 of the FAQ
For administrators (capability manage_options) there is one option in this section:
- Share with all users on this site
The default is that each user of your weblog has to setup/authorize the plugin. If you check this option all users will use your access token. After checking this option the setup page of the plugin will be accessible only to the administrator that enabled this option. Note that all users will use your name. You may want to choose Avatar of authoras link picture (see below).
Links on Facebook can have a link picture, which is displayed between your Facebook profile picture and the link text(s). The plugin offers several options to automatically select a picture:
- WordPress logo: the default, unless Default picture URL is filled in
- First attached image: the image which was first uploaded on the post page
- Featured post image: for themes that support a featured image only
- Let Facebook select: this often doesn’t work as you want to, because Facebook can select for example a header image
- First image in the post: similar to first attached image, but the image doesn’t have to be associated with the post
- Avatar of author
- Custom picture below: complete URL to a static picture of your choice
Most users probably want to use First image in the post. This is also the best option for users that use remote publishing.
Note that the default picture is used if no link picture could be found, for example if there was no featured post image selected or when there was no picture in the post.
No picture at all is not officially supported by Facebook, but you can try to use an invalid custom picture.
Pages and groups
The plugin can add a link to a page or group wall of your choice. Just check what you want, page or group, press Save and select the page or group you want to add links to. For pages it is possible to add links as page owner, instead of with your personal account. For groups this is not possible, since Facebook doesn’t support it.
Some visual aspects of added links can be controlled, but most of the layout is entirely determined by Facebook. The plugin will strip all markup, since Facebook doesn’t allow it.
To better understand some of the options take a look at the screen shot to see what is what.
- Use site title as caption: replace the URL by your blog title (shown below the option)
- Use excerpt as message: by default there is no message, but if you like you can use the standard WordPress excerpt (if any)
- Text trailer: if you use this option, the text will be truncated (whole sentences) and the text trailer will be appended
- Keep hyperlinks: by default hyperlinks are stripped, leaving the title (if any), this options reverses that
- Add ‘Share’ link: this option is experimental, because it is not officially supported by Facebook (it is not documented)
- Use short URL: see question U15 of the FAQ for details
- Add links for new pages: by default only links will be added for new posts, check this option if you want the same for new pages
If you use a text trailer, you should know it is just a text and it is not clickable. The text including the trailer will not be longer than 256 characters, this is what Facebook will display at maximum without truncating the text. Note that the text could be shorter, because the plugin will truncate the text after periods only (sentences). You can change the default maximum text length with trailer of 256 characters using a plugin option. If you don’t use a text trailer, the complete post/page text up to 10,000 characters will be sent to Facebook and Facebook will truncate the text at 256 characters and display Read more, which when clicked will reveal the complete text. You can change the default maximum text length of 10,000 characters using a plugin option, but you shouldn’t set it above 10,000 characters, since Facebook will report an error above this hard limit.
Comments and likes
Please be aware that comment integration could harm the privacy of other Facebook users!